Monthly Archives June 2015

Wave of ADA Public Accommodation Lawsuits Continue to Spread, Hits Illinois

ADA Litigation is sweeping the country and…..it’s after the lodging industry. From New York to Southern California, hotels are being targeted in vast numbers. Hotel owners and operators need to be vigilant about the compliance of their properties and ensure their employees are informed and able to communicate information effectively. JD Supra, Doug Hass, reveals the most recent events.

ada lawsuits

In recent weeks, we have seen a surge in Illinois of private plaintiff lawsuits filed under the public accommodation provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA). Public accommodation lawsuits have been common for nearly a decade in some states, such as California and Florida, but these cases have been filed with increasing frequency in Illinois and other states.

Some plaintiff’s ...

Read More

Louisville Fire Dept. takes Fern Valley Hotel owner to court over violations

With fire violations pending, various safety hazards, expired permits, debris, and unsanitary conditions throughout the property, not to mention the tremendous risk exposure and lack of guest experience, the hotel remains open. A true nightmare for most hotel owners and managers! WHAS11, Melissa Swan, out of Louisville, Kentucky reports the story.

Fire Department Image

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WHAS11) – WHAS11 News has learned that the Louisville Fire Department is taking the owner of the Fern Valley Hotel to court because of repeated violations.

In a special WHAS11 On Your Side report, we’ve also learned that another local agency has taken steps to close the hotel.

All these concerns came to our attention after some Derby guests moved in and quickly became outraged.

When Arizona horse owner Randy Exelby, his wif...

Read More

Hotel evacuated after gas is released in the building

This is why there should be training all the time!  They’re lucky nobody died… Globegazette.com, Mary Pieper, shares the story.

Hotel gas .image

MASON CITY | Thirteen people received medical attention Sunday after inhaling chlorine gas at the Holiday Inn Express.

Six of those patients were transported to Mercy Medical Center-North Iowa by ambulance, according to Mason City Fire Department Capt. Jared Ogbourne.

All 13 were treated and released, according to a hospital spokeswoman.

Ogbourne said bleach and acid were mixed accidentally in the laundry room on the first floor of the hotel, creating chlorine gas.

Chlorine gas is “something you don’t want to inhale,” he said.

The fumes were mainly contained to the first floor, but the entire hotel was evacuated as a precaution, Ogbourne said.

The Fire D...

Read More