Pools appeal to old and young alike, a place for fitness conscious adults and a kid friendly play area for children. Although a pool benefits all ages and all types of lifestyles and is often the most desirable feature in a hotel, it is also one of the most dangerous amenities on the property. You, the hotel owner and staff, have a duty to keep the pool reasonably clean and safe for all visitors. Routine maintenance and sanitation along with frequent pool checks and proper signage is a must. DailyStar UK, Sabi Phagura, reports a tragic pool incident in England recently.
A COUPLE who were having an affair drowned in a swimming pool while enjoying a romantic break away at a hotel.
Komba Kpakiwa and Josephine Foday were spotted joking around and splashing in the water.
At the time of their deaths no lifeguards were manning the pool and a CCTV camera which covered the area was broken.
Ms Foday, 22, of London and her married lover Mr Kpakiwa, 31, of Kent, were both ruled to have died accidentally at an inquest.
“If I was to conclude that one of those failures led to the two unfortunate people’s deaths then the punishment adopted would be hugely increased because of the huge harm”
Judge Anthony Goldstaub
Now the hotel company has been fined £200,000 for “systemic” health and safety failures after the couple’s deaths at Down Hall Country House Hotel in Hatfield Heath, Essex.
Passing sentencing judge Anthony Goldstaub said that a culture of not dealing with health and safety issues ran right up to hotel firm Veladid Limited’s boardroom.
“Managers and other staff were not clear on their health and safety responsibilities,” he added.
“It seems to me very complete and consistent. It was systemic in the sense that it as structural to the directors and managers of the firm from the boardroom level down.
“They did not get a grip of safety procedures and processes.”
The breaches only came to light in April 2013 following the deaths of nursing student Ms Foday and dad-of-two Komba.
In sentencing he took into account the damage in reputation and financially the company had suffered since the pair’s death.
The company were fined £100,000 each for two charges of breaching health and safety laws at Chelmsford Crown Court.
It was also ordered to pay £30,000 for prosecution’s costs.
The swimming pool has since been converted into a spa.